Wooden Flooring Know-how
A genuine hardwood flooring has a long lasting value. Some of the benefits of hardwood flooring are, it is hygienic, environmental friendly, durable, easy to install and easy to maintain. At ITI Timspec, we can offer a great range of New Zealand, Australian, American, and European hardwood flooring species.Hardwood T&G Flooring requires careful attention during installation. We recommend using a professional floor layer (Find floor layers here).
Australasian Timber Flooring Association - ATFA®
The Australasian Timber Flooring association (ATFA®) is the leading governing body for timber floors and timber floor installation contractors, manufacturers and suppliers. Their mission is to improve effectiveness, quality, competitiveness and standards in the industry. ATFA® are a member based timber flooring association which provides information and services to its members and consumers. ITI Timspec is a proud member of ATFA® and committed to be profitable and professional. The ATFA® offers a great resource of trade information and help.
Read more about ATFA® here
- Order flooring with ample lead time (up to 4 weeks) to allow on site conditioning prior to installation. Typically, installation moisture content for residential buildings intermittently heated is 10-14% and in air conditioned or controlled temperature buildings, it is 8-10%.
- However, room orientation, insulation or heating provided and window size will influence the in-service moisture content. Most US sourced hardwoods have a 7-9% moisture content which is drier than most New Zealand species.
Delivering and Storage
- Check moisture content on delivery Make sure timber flooring is kept dry.
- Do not store in damp areas.
- Stack timber on bearers or dunnage, clear of the floor on a level surface in a dry weatherproof space.
- Do not stack timber over a concrete slab which has moisture content of more than 70%.
Care and Maintenance
- The advantage of timber flooring is that it is easy to clean.
- Regular maintenance of flooring will ensure a life time of beauty.
- For a day cleaning, use dry methods such as vacuuming and sweeping.
- To remove stubborn dirt, use well-rung mop and a pH neutral cleaner.
- Do not clean timber floors with a steam mop.
- Place doormats at the entrance,non-slip rugs in high-wear and protective pads under furniture legs.
- Do not use abrasive brushes, steel wool, soap detergents or ammonia based elements.
- Take care when moving appliances and furniture by placing them on a sturdy mat to slide in to position.